News & Announcements
- January 3, 2012
Bar & Court Admissions
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Alabama
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Alabama
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court of Colorado
- U.S. District Court of Idaho
University of Alabama, B.S.E.E., cum laude, 1976
- Eta Kappa Nu
- Tau Beta Pi
- Outstanding Fellow Award, 1991
University of Montana School of Law, J.D., with honors
- Phone: 404.582.8057
- Fax: 404.688.0671
- Email: email@example.com
Diane Vincent: 404.582.8105 - Email
JOHN M. MASTIN, JR. joined Smith, Currie & Hancock in August of 2006 after more than twenty years in the construction industry. John is a member of the firm's Construction Litigation and Government Contracts practice groups. John has extensive, real-world experience in construction design and engineering, and the resolution of construction disputes involving, among other things, contract interpretation, contract changes, schedule delays, acceleration, differing site conditions, and proving costs and damages.
John attended The University of Montana School of Law, receiving his Juris Doctor with honors. He received his Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering cum laude from the University of Alabama.
John is married and has two daughters. John enjoys running in his spare time.
- More than twenty years of experience as a construction contractor.
- Extensive experience helping construction general contractors, subcontractors, suppliers, architects, engineers, sureties, and insurance companies avoid and resolve construction problems and disputes through collaboration, negotiations, mediation, arbitration, and court litigation.
- Extensive experience on all types of construction projects.
Articles & Publications
- "Authority to Order Changes: Square Corners are Dangerous," Common Sense Contracting, Volume 24, Number 4, Winter 2011.
- "Chapter 4 Construction Contracts," Commercial Real Estate Transactions Handbook, Aspen Publishers, 4th edition, 2009 (co-author with Philip E. Beck, Esq.).
- "Chapter 13 Management Techniques to Limit Risks and Avoid Disputes,"Common Sense Construction Law, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 4th edition, 2009.
- "Federal Government Contracts: Authority to Order Changes," Common Sense Contracting, Volume 22, Number 4, Spring 2009.
- "Chapter 2 Authority to Bind the Government, Contract Financing, and Payment," Federal Government Construction Contracts, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2008.
- "Chapter 3 Contract Formation," Federal Government Construction Contracts, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2008.
- "Chapter 16 Federal Grants for Public Construction Contracts," Federal Government Construction Contracts, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2008.
- "Proving Acceleration," Common Sense Contracting, Volume 22, Number 1, Spring 2008.
- "Contingent Payment Update," Common Sense Contracting, Volume 21, Number 1, Spring 2007.
Published on CommonSenseContractLaw.com
Classes & Seminars Taught
Speaker, Common Sense Construction Law for Florida Licensed Contractors
Speaker, Getting Paid for Changes
John has taught classes on The National Electrical Code